Expert witnesses are now actively marketing their expert witness services through the use of:
- Expert witness directories
- Display and other advertising
- Speaking and lecturing
Ten tips for expert witnesses to market their practice include:
- An expert should identify and pursue his niche.
- The best experts budget the time and money needed to promote their practices. They are serious about building their practices and don’t treat them as a hobby.
- Tracking new inquiries and cases gives an idea of which marketing techniques are working and which are not working.
- An expert witness should understand the dollar value of cases and target high-value ones.
- Expert witnesses should avoid unprofessional marketing directories.
- It is unwise to have unprofessional or tacky marketing/advertising. This is not a place for cleverness or joking.
- It is crucial to develop an overall marketing strategy and commit the time and resources to implement the plan.
- Experts should obtain letters of reference from satisfied clients.
- Experts will want to stay in touch with past clients.
- Expert should turn out the highest work product possible.